Benny Goodman was a talented jazz clarinetist and bandleader who born on 30 May 1909 in Chicago, Illinois. His original name was Benjamin David Goodman, son of Russian Immigrant David Goodman and Dora Grisinsky Goodman.
He was the ninth child of his parents. At the age of 10, Benny’s Father sent him to the Keelah Jacob Synagogue in Chicago to study music.
Benny learned clarinet under the influence of Chicago Symphony member Franz Schoepp while two of his brothers learned tuba and trumpet. After playing his first pit band, he became a member of the American Federation of Musicians at the age of 14. Then, He drops out of school to pursue his music career.
Goodson achieved several accomplishments at a very young age and performed his first professional debut in 1921. Moreover, He played multiple bands in Chicago.
However, he gained popularity in the 1930s after giving multiple hits. He collaborated with many musicians such as Frank Teschemacher and Dave Tough.
Benny Goodson Began his career as Bandleader in 1934, Goodson and his group Started a few month stint at Billy Rose’s Music Hall.
Goodson achieved several music titles later on and he was a unique jazz clarinetist, unfortunately, passed away in 1986.
However, He is still alive through his hit albums and Benny Goodman quotes are still motivating so many youngster to pursue their ambition rather than give up.
Top 20 Extraordinary Benny Goodman Quotes
1. “Too many young musicians today want to win polls before they learn their instruments.” – Benny Goodman
2. “To this day, I don’t like people walking on stage not looking good. You have to look good. If you feel special about yourself then you’re going to play special.” – Benny Goodman
3. “That night at Carnegie Hall was a great experience. When the thing was first put up to me I was a little dubious, not knowing just what would be expected of us.” – Benny Goodman
4. “If you want to do something, you do it anyway, and handle the obstacles as they come.” – Benny Goodman
5. “Sometimes when you start losing detail, whether it’s in music or in life, something as small as failing to be polite, you start to lose substance.” – Benny Goodman
6. “After you’ve done all the work and prepared as much as you can, what the hell, you might as well go out and have a good time.” – Benny Goodman
7. “As soon as it was understood that we could handle things in our own way, it was the thrill of my life to walk out on that stage with people just hemming the band in.” – Benny Goodman
8. “One way or the other, if you want to find reasons why you shouldn’t keep on, you’ll find ‘em. The obstacles are all there; there are a million of ‘em.” – Benny Goodman
9. “If I have something I want to do, I make a business of doing it.” – Benny Goodman
10. “Creativity grows out of two things: curiosity & imagination.” – Benny Goodman
11. “People have often said to me, ‘You’re so relaxed when you play.’ Relaxed my elbow. It’s practice.” – Benny Goodman
12. “It takes the black keys and the white keys both, to make perfect harmony.” – Benny Goodman
13. “If a guy’s got it, let him give it. I’m selling music, not prejudice.” – Benny Goodman
14. “Some of the overflow audience actually sat on the stage.” – Benny Goodman
15. “I remember Glenn Miller coming to me once, before he had his own band, saying, How do you do it? How do you get started? It’s so difficult. I told him, I don’t know but whatever you do don’t stop. Just keep on going.” – Benny Goodman
16. “A musician is a juggler who uses harmonies instead of oranges.” – Benny Goodman
17. “I don’t have any great love for Chicago. What the hell, a childhood around Douglas Park isn’t very memorable. I remember the street fights and how you were afraid to cross the bridge ’cause the Irish kid on the other side would beat your head in. I left Chicago a long time ago.” – Benny Goodman
18. “If an individual allows his personal standard to be eroded, something of what he does is going to be compromised.” – Benny Goodman
19. “You have to look good.” – Benny Goodman
20. “I started off playing the clarinet, after I was inspired by listening to my dad’s Benny Goodman records.” – Benny Goodman
which are your best Benny Goodman quotes? tell me in the comment box.