Are you looking for Buddy Rich quotes? your wait is over.
Buddy Rich was one of the greatest American drummers of all time. Buddy(Bernard) Rich was born on Sept. 30 1917 in Brooklyn, New York. you’d surprise to know that he started drumming when he was 2 years old and discovered his career as a drummer at a young age.
He never practiced before the stage performance, Because he believed that a true drummer never needs practice. , Buddy never took any formal training when he was young. Moreover, Buddy Rich was also famous for his virtuoso technique, power, and speed. Despite being a drummer, he was also fond of singing and dancing.
At the age of 11, Buddy became a bandleader Furthermore, he led the band and toured in the US and Australia.
Buddy Rich became the second-highest-paid child entertainer when he was just 15 years old.
In 1937, Buddy’s started a career as a jazz drummer by joining band led by clarinetist Joe Marsala and guitarist Jack Lemaine.
Later, He received many offers from big bands and became a member of bands led by Bunny Berigan and Artie Shaw. Buddy Rich Earned popularity at an early age and became a famous drummer of all time.
Unfortunately, He passed away on April 2, 1987, due to the suffering from extremely low blood pressure.
Buddy Rich quotes are still influencing youth around the world. He is a true inspiration who wants to be a drummer.
Top 38 Amazing Buddy Rich Quotes
1. “No, I don’t like recording. It’s a bore.” – Buddy Rich
2. “I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way.” – Buddy Rich
3. “If you have any requests. keep them to yourselves. we don’t play requests!” – Buddy Rich
4. “I can think of a lot better things to do with my hands than to cut them up on the rim of a drum.” – Buddy Rich
5. “As far as music school goes. I walked through Berkeley one time to visit with some people I know.” – Buddy Rich
6. “It takes us about four or five days to get an album out.” – Buddy Rich
7. “Every drummer that had a name, had a name because of his individual playing. He didn’t sound like anybody else, So everybody that I ever listened to, in some form, influenced my taste.” – Buddy Rich
8. “You only get better by playing.” – Buddy Rich
9. “I play a percussion instrument, not a musical saw; it needs no amplification. Where it’s needed, they put a microphone in front of the bass drum. But, I don’t think it’s necessary to play that way every night.” – Buddy Rich
10. “Well, I never really practiced because I never had the opportunity to practice.” – Buddy Rich
11. “But I think that any young drummer starting out today should get himself a great teacher and learn all there is to know about the instrument that he wants to play.” – Buddy Rich
12. “I can think of a lot better things to do with my hands than to cut them up on the rim of a drum.” – Buddy Rich
13. “To have everything written for you… It’s not really creating. That’s why I think symphony drummers are so limited. They ‘re limited to exactly what was played a hundred years before them by a thousand other drummers.” – Buddy Rich
14. “It takes us about four or five days to get an album out.” – Buddy Rich
15. “There are only two types of music.good and bad.” – Buddy Rich
16. “And, well of course, Count Basie, and I think all of the black bands of the late thirties and early forties, bands with real players. They had an influence on everybody, not just drummers.” – Buddy Rich
17. “You only get better by playing.” – Buddy Rich
18. “They’re simply following what was laid down in front and they play the same thing. So, there’s no great challenge In being a classical drummer.” – Buddy Rich
Related: Top 20 Benny Goodman Quotes
19. “You only get better by playing.” – Buddy Rich
20. “I think it’s a fallacy that the harder you practice the better you get.” – Buddy Rich
21. “Average band with a great drummer sounds great, great band with an average drummer sounds average.” – Buddy Rich
22. “A great musician is just a thief who doesn’t get caught.” – Buddy Rich
23. “I think the drummer should sit back there and play some drums, and never mind about the tunes. Just get up there and wail behind whoever is sitting up there playing the solo. And this is what is lacking, definitely lacking in music today.” – Buddy Rich
24. “If you think you stink, you probably do.” – Buddy Rich
25. “Almost everything I’ve done, I’ve done through my own creativity.” – Buddy Rich
26. “But primarily, the drummer’s supposed to sit back there and swing the band.” – Buddy Rich
27. “You either swing a band or don’t swing a band and that’s what’s lacking today.. There aren’t any guys who get back there and play with any kind of guts.” – Buddy Rich
28. “If he’s a true symphony artist, he knows better than that because he knows that the only truly creative musician is the jazz musician.” – Buddy Rich
29. “I mean, I think I liked every band I ever played in because each band was different, each band had a different concept, and each band leader was different… different personalities and musical tastes.” – Buddy Rich
30. “If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” – Buddy Rich
31. “I think at one time every drummer wanted to play like Krupa or wanted to win a Gene Krupa drum contest. This is the big inspiration for drummers and naturally it has to be the same way for me.” – Buddy Rich
32. “I can’t sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning.” – Buddy Rich
33. “And, you know, I think the original recording of Ravel’s Bolero, probably whoever played percussion on that, will never have It played better than that.” – Buddy Rich
34. “I never believed in a set routine. It should depend on how you feel, because you play what you feel.” – Buddy Rich
35. “A great musician is just a thief who doesn’t get caught.” – Buddy Rich
36. “But, when you have to resort to turntables, trick lights, flashing lights, fire and all that, you’re actually saying, I need this because what I do is not all that together.” – Buddy Rich
37. “You either swing a band or don’t swing a band and that’s what’s lacking today.. There aren’t any guys who get back there and play with any kind of guts.” – Buddy Rich
38. “There were so many individual styles thirty or forty years ago.” – Buddy Rich
Which are your best Buddy Rich quotes? we would love to hear from you.